IslandEyecare AMD Hero (1)

Age-Related Macular Degeneration Diagnosis in Sydney

Book Appointment

Island Eyecare’s Innovative Approach

Age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in North America for people over age 55. You could be at risk for AMD if you’re a smoker, have had extensive UV exposure, high blood pressure, or family history of AMD.

Island Eyecare combines comprehensive eye exams and innovative technologies to detect and manage AMD. This includes being the first clinic in Atlantic Canada to have both the MP-Eye and AdaptDx machines to identify risk factors and the earliest signs of the disease. Identifying early signs of AMD allows Island Eyecare to create a management plan tailored to each individual’s needs.

What is AMD?

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is an eye disease that affects the clarity of your central vision. The macula, the part of your eye responsible for central vision, deteriorates over time.
In the early stages of AMD, there may be no noticeable symptoms. As AMD progresses, some noticeable symptoms include:

  • Blurred central vision
  • Trouble seeing in low light
  • Straight lines appear wavy
  • Colours appear muted

AMD can be hereditary, but you can lower your risk or the progression of AMD by following a healthy lifestyle:

  • Exercise regularly
  • Quit smoking
  • Maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels
  • Protect your eyes from the sun’s UV rays
  • Eat a variety of nutritious foods, including fish and leafy greens

It’s important to schedule routine eye exams to detect eye disease early. If you notice any potential symptoms of AMD, please contact us.

Types of AMD

There are 2 types of AMD: dry and wet. Dry AMD accounts for 90% of cases, while wet AMD is less common and accounts for the remaining 10% of cases.


Dry AMD, also referred to as atrophic AMD, occurs when the macula gets thinner due to aging. This type of AMD often progresses slowly over time and can affect one or both eyes. Central vision worsens, making tasks like reading and driving more difficult.


Wet AMD, also referred to as advanced neovascular AMD, is less common but results in more rapid vision loss. It’s caused when abnormal blood vessels grow in the back of the eye, which can damage the macula.

Detecting & Diagnosing

At Island Eyecare, we care about ensuring the health of your eyes. We use state-of-the-art technology to detect and diagnose AMD, and are first practice in Atlantic Canada to use both the MP-Eye and AdaptDx devices to diagnose and treat AMD.

MP-Eye is a quick and easy-to-use device that assesses your eye’s natural defence against blue and violet wavelengths of light. These particular wavelengths can affect the retina.

The macular pigments in your eye are responsible for absorbing violet-blue light. MP-Eye will provide a score based on the effectiveness of your macular pigments. Low macular pigment levels can lead to damage of the retina and AMD.

Genetic testing for AMD can be beneficial because a person’s genetic profile accounts for 70% of the cause of AMD, while the rest can be attributed to environmental and individual factors. Two types of testing can identify certain factors that indicate a higher risk of AMD.

Vita Risk testing identifies individuals who may be at a higher risk of developing wet AMD due to their genetic predisposition.

Macula Risk helps recognize those with a higher risk of AMD progression.

AdaptDx uses innovative technology and artificial intelligence to accurately and efficiently measure dark adaptation function, the earliest biomarker for AMD. AdaptDx is comfortable and adjustable for patients, and easy-to-follow instructions are presented on the LED screen.

At Island Eyecare, we use AdaptDx as an extra risk factor based test. Our goal is to detect AMD early to delay or prevent blindness.

Detect & Protect

Island Eyecare’s mission is to provide patients with quality and accurate eye care. By investing in modern technology, we can check for any risks of eye disease and provide treatment and care for your eyes. 

We want you to see better, longer. Schedule an eye exam and learn more about the potential risks of AMD.

Our Testimonials

Our Location in Sydney

Find us at 117 Welton Street in Sydney, Nova Scotia, on the corner of Welton Street and Spruce Street. Our office is just down from the Sydney Memorial Chapel and next to Air Liquide Canada Store. There is ample free parking in our parking lot next to the building.

Our Address

117 Welton Street
Sydney, NS B1P 5R6

Contact Information

Hours of Operation

8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
9:30 AM – 4:30 PM
8:30 AM – 6:00 PM
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM

Our Services

Our Brands

View All Our Brands

instagram facebook facebook2 pinterest twitter google-plus google linkedin2 yelp youtube phone location calendar share2 link star-full star star-half chevron-right chevron-left chevron-down chevron-up envelope fax